Tag: Visual Arts Center
“The Historic Journey of African American Quilters”
SCAC Announces Coming Events
Stone County Arts Council Reminders:
- March 18- 5:30 pm – SCAC meeting
- March 18-6:30 pm – Daisha Walker’s presents “The Emilie and Marie Stapp Story.” This program was funded by the MS Humanities Council in partnership with the Stone County Arts Council and the Friends of Stone County Libraries. The two new Stapp traveling murals are hanging in the Visual Arts Center Gallery until April 8th.
- March 21-22 – Pine Hill Day – SCAC will sponsor a booth. Please sign up with Sandra Cassibry to help man the booth.
- March 26 – Arts Day at the Capitol. If you would like to attend, call Kathryn Lewis at 228-697-4505 for more information.
- March 27 -Noon at The Lightered Knot- Dianne Williams (Author and Arts Commission Cultural Arts Director) shares stories and sign her new book on MS Tall Tales. This book features two Stone County stories.
- March 27 – 6:00 pm – Top of the Hancock Bank Building (Gulfport) – Elizabeth Huffmaster Art Show Opening. This event is free.
- April 10- 6:00 pm – Cassibry and Calcote Gallery Opening- Visual Arts Center
- April 9-11 – Children’s Book Festival at USM – This event features award winning authors and illustrators. More information is available online.
- April 12: 9:00 am -2:00 pm -Silk Fabric Painting Workshop with Kelli Spacht-$60 for members and $75 for non-members…sign up by calling 601-928-6298.
- April 15: 5:30 pm – SCAC meeting
- April 15: 6:30 pm – Cross Painting Workshop with Sandra Cassibry ($30 for members and $40 for non-members). Call 601-928-6298 to register.
We do amazing work!!! Congratulations to Elizabeth Huffmaster for wining a purchase award and $500 watercolor award at the Fairhope Art Show. Congratulations also to member Marilyn Ammons for winning “Best in Show” at the Daphne Arts Show sponsored by the Mobile Watercolor Society.
Celebration of Emilie Blackmore Stapp
Almost finished! The second traveling Emilie Stapp mural featuring the characters from her books is being painted by artist Sherry Carlson with the art students at MGCCC-Perkinston Campus. This mural is funded by the Stone County Arts Council in partnership with the Mississippi Humanities Council, MGCCC and the Friends of Stone County Libraries. A special thanks to Sherry who is donating her time and talent, Sandra Cassibry (Fine Arts Chair/art instructor at MGCCC-Perkinston Campus) and the Pink Rooster Gallery in Ocean Springs for helping secure the canvas.
These murals will travel to the schools in Stone County and help tell the incredible story of Emilie Stapp, children’s writer and philanthropist, who lived in Stone County. This mural and a second traveling mural sharing Stapp’s life will be featured March 11th, 12:30-1:30, at the Visual Arts Center for Daisha Walker presentation on Stapp funded by the Mississippi Humanities Council, March 15th, 10AM-4PM, during the Doll Show and Tea Party at the Senior Citizens Center sponsored by The Old Firehouse Museum, and March 18th at 6:30PM at the Visual Arts Center when the Walker presentation is repeated.
Stone County Arts Council News – Much to Know!
The Stone County Arts Council SCAC) enjoyed a great acrylic workshop with Kym Garraway on Saturday, February 15, 2014. Later in this post, you can check out the photos from this event or can see them on our Facebook page. The SCAC was honored to provide a student scholarship to the workshop. Special thanks to Kym for donating the proceeds from the workshop to the Yellow Brick Community Arts Center project!
February 18, 5:30PM – Important SCAC Planning Monthly Meeting, Visual Arts Center-Perkinston Campus
February 21-23 – Folk Music workshops and at William Carey University. For more information check the WCU website or contact Karen McQueen.
March 1, 9:00AM-2:00PM – Elizabeth Huffmaster’s Watercolor Workshop (Student will choose from watercolor paper or yupo and flower patterns or can design their own.) Cost: members $60, non-members $75. Call 601-928-6298 for more information or to register. All materials to complete one piece will be provided. Visual Arts Center-Perkinston Campus
March 5 – Read Across America – Share a story and art activity with Stone County Students. If interested in participating, call 228-697-4505.
March 11, 12:30PM-1:30PM -“The Emilie Stapp Story” presented by Daisha Walker (funded in part with a grant from the Mississippi Humanities Council); Admission is free. The newest Stone County Traveling Mural will be introduced on the life of Emilie Stapp. The Mural, painted by Kym Garraway, is funded by the Stone County Arts Council and The Friends of Stone County Libraries. Visual Arts Center-Perkinston Campus
March 15, 9:00AM-2:00PM – “Art and Spirituality” presented by Joy Jennings, Watch for coming information on this incredible opportunity! -Visual Arts Center-Perkinston Campus
March 18, 5:30PM – Monthly SCAC Meeting followed by “The Emilie Stapp Story” (see March 11 for more information); -Visual Arts Center-Perkinston Campus
March 21-22 – Annual Pine Hill Day – SCAC will have a booth.
March 27; 12 noon – Storyteller and Cultural Arts Director of the Mississippi Arts Commission Diane Williams will be in Stone County at the Lightered Knot Kitchen (sponsored by the Friends of Stone County Libraries) telling stories and signing her new book on Mississippi’s Tall Tales (including some Stone County stories).
April 15, 5:30PM – SCAC monthly meeting; Visual Arts Center – Perkinston Campus
June 23-27 – Mark your calendars for K-12 students for the summer performing arts camp at MGCCC-Perkinston. For more information, contact Daisha Walker at 601-928-6289.
Come see Elizabeth Huffmaster’s Gallery Show now open at the Visual Arts Center.
SCAC member and artist Sherry Carlson, with the MGCCC – Perkinston Campus Art Students, is painting a traveling mural featuring the characters in Emilie Stapp’s many books. This mural will hang at alternate times at Wiggins and Perkinston Elementary Schools. An accompanying lesson will be shared with the students to share with them the incredible story of Emilie Stapp and the characters of her books.
2014 dues are due. We have lots of wonderful “art” going on and we need YOU!! Please let us know what you would like to do for “art” this summer – studio classes? 2 day classes? more Saturday classes?
See you soon!
Join Us for the Elizabeth Huffmaster Gallery Opening
The exciting work of Elizabeth Huffmaster will be opening for public access on Monday, February 10, 2014, at 6PM at the Visual Arts Center of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Perkinston Campus. We hope you will join us for this existing evening.
Kym Garraway Exhibit Now Open
The Stone County Arts Council celebrated the opening of an exhibit by artist Kym Garraway at the Visual Arts Center on the Perkinston Campus of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College on September 16, 2013.
The exhibit is open to the public from September 17, 2013 – October 31, 2013, Monday-Friday from 8AM-5PM or by special appointment by dialing (228) 928-6298.
Here are some photos from the special opening evening.